Welcome to my blog!


News and views on animal issues from Gretchen Kunz, professional animal communicator.

Friday, December 16, 2011

I Get So Emotional, Baby


Clients sometimes tell me that they try to communicate with their animals, but they get frustrated.  They feel that they keep trying to work out the same problems again and again, or they feel “she just won’t listen to me like she listens to you… her trainer… my husband.”  This can frequently happen not because a person is not capable of communication, but because they are too close to the situation.

If this happens to you, you’re not alone.  Just as physicians are advised not to treat their own family members, we animal lovers can sometimes let our emotions about an animal close to us interfere with our judgment and ability to communicate with them. 
In my personal experience, I sometimes can’t keep a clear head about my own pets’ behaviours or health concerns because I worry about them or feel guilt in my role as “mother” or caregiver to them.  Dealing with my semi-feral cat, Quan Yin, in particular, tested me.  Because she was so wild, she was easily frightened and had different needs from my other cats.  I had to take a step back when I dealt with her and realize that the ideas I had about what I wanted for her or what made my other cats healthy and happy did not always coincide with what she wanted and needed.  In discussing this with other animal professionals, I have found they have similar experiences, too.

So, if you are having difficulty communicating with your own crew, what do you do?  First of all, don’t be embarrassed – what you are going through is perfectly natural.  Secondly, don’t be afraid to ask for help.  I and other communicators I spoke with call on fellow animal communicators, trainers, behaviorists or veterinary professionals when we need them.  In my opinion, multiple approaches can work together, and animal lovers and professionals can always learn from each other to come up with solutions.

It’s also valid to ask a higher authority.  Several animal communicators I asked told me that they not only consult with other humans when they have this problem, but will contact angels, spirit guides, shamanic power animals or the higher selves of the animals in question.  Some even use tools like dowsing to help point them to one in a list of possible answers to their questions.  I have used shamanic animal communication to get deeper answers from my animals when a regular chat won’t do, and have found it can be very effective.

You can also simplify.  Approach your pet calmly and kindly, making sure you have settled down your emotions first.  Then, just talk gently with your animal out loud. You can also just hold positive pictures in your mind of the issue and how you would like it to be resolved. Imagine the pictures going into your pet’s head as you talk with them.  If that’s too much, just talking is fine.  You might be surprised how much animals can get just by talking to them.  Even if they don’t understand the words, they often get the intention behind them.    

Most of all, don’t give up.  Sometimes it takes time, patience and work to solve any communication problem.  When you get emotional about an issue with your animal, try to take a step back.  Let it go for a moment, and forgive yourself, because it is natural to feel strongly about those we love and natural for these strong feelings to cloud our ability to think logically.  Forgive your animals for anything you think they are doing wrong, because more often then not it is just a miscommunication.  Read up on their health care and behaviour, try to see things from their point of view, and get help if you need it.  Sometimes all it takes is a gentle change in perspective to make a big problem small.

0 comments:

Post a Comment